Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pawlenty to GOP: look in the mirror

We may not always agree with our governor, but he sure tells some of the best self-deprecating jokes in politics — the best of which feature his wife Mary:
Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, who was very nearly Senator John McCain’s running mate this year, told the decidedly subdued, post-election conference Wednesday about a revelation he had recently while looking into the bathroom mirror at his home in Minnesota.

Mr. Pawlenty said that after wearily returning from the campaign trail, he looked at himself in the mirror and complained about what he saw to his wife, Mary. "I said, ‘Mary, look at me,’" he said. "‘I mean, my hairline’s receding, these crow’s feet and wrinkles are multiplying on my face by the day, I’ve been on the road eating junk food, I’m getting flabby, these love handles are flopping over the side of my belt.’

"I said, ‘Is there anything you can tell me that would give me some hope, some optimism, some encouragement?’" he said. "And she looked at me and she said, ‘Well, there’s nothing wrong with your eyesight.’"

As his fellow governors laughed, he came to the moral of the story: "If we are going to successfully travel the road to improvement, as Republicans, we need to see clearly, and we need to speak to each other candidly about the state of our party."

1 comment:

J. Thomas Hunter said...

Your governor is right, as usual. That's a great story, and a great moral. I'm sure Pawlenty will be on the national stage in the near future. I look forward to it.