"In an election as important as this, we must choose the candidate who has a proven record of bipartisanship and reforming government, and that's John McCain," Rothschild said in a press release coinciding with the Wednesday announcement from Arlington, Virginia.
"We can't afford a president who lacks experience and judgment and has never crossed party lines to work for meaningful reform," continued Rothschild. "Amid tough economic times and foreign policy concerns, we need someone who is ready to lead. Although I am a Democrat, I recognize that it's more important to put country ahead of party and that's why I support John McCain."
During the Republican National Convention in Saint Paul, several other prominent McCain Democrats held a press conference to discuss their reasons for supporting the McCain-Palin ticket, including:
- John Coale, former fundraiser for President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
- Jennifer Lee, member of Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign in California
- Silver Salazar, Hispanic community leader and former supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton for president
- Cynthia Ruccia, former Congressional candidate from Ohio and women's rights activist
- Brian Golden, former state representative fro Boston and lifelong Democrat
- Ambassador Mark Erwin, appointed ambassador to OPIC by President Clinton