Wednesday, April 16, 2008

43B to endorse tonight

Republican delegates from House District 43B (Plymouth-Minnetonka) will convene tonight to endorse a candidate for Minnesota House of Representatives, to run against incumbent John Benson (DFL-Minnetonka).

I am a delegate in this district, which judging from the turnout at our precinct caucuses is still fairly conservative. I have been contacted by two candidates so far, Ryan Shore and Brian Grogan.

Shore, a Minnetonka resident, espouses the right views, but his letter to delegates seems to have been assembled in a hurry, and contains very little background information on the candidate.

Grogan, a Minnetonka resident since 1991, is a financial services advisor. He first contacted me at the SD 43 convention, handing me a resume with a handshake and an introduction. On Saturday, he even dropped by my house to introduce himself again, answer questions, and ask for my vote. I have received a couple of mailings from him, including a well-written letter explaining why he is running and what he stands for:
I pledge my committment to fight for lower taxes, efficiently run government and legislation to address the growing illegal immigrant issue. I want to assure you that your support for me will be rewarded with my deeply held conviction that I will always stand by the Republican leadership and core Republican values. Lastly, I will run with vigor, enthusiasm and stay on message. Benson can be defeated but it will take a candidate with strong communication skills, outgoing personality, a strong message and leadership skills. These are my strong suits.

So Grogan contacted me roughly once a week over the last 30 days, and looked like a candidate while doing so. This tells me that this guy not only wants to represent 43B Republicans in Saint Paul, he just may have the wherewithal to get there. He is also active in the Hopkins public schools, Jaycees, and youth ministry. He is married with three school-age children.

I will be listening closely to the candidate speeches tonight, but unless David Gaither or Brian Sullivan suddenly move into HD 43B, I think I know whom I will be supporting.

House District 43B Endorsing Convention
Minnetonka Community Center
14600 Minnetonka Boulevard
Minnetonka
Tonight, Wednesday, April 16, 2008
7:00 p.m. (registration opens at 6:30 p.m.)

No comments: